Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Overdue...Again... (Warning: Long post ahead!)

I am just no good at keeping up with anything right now! So I believe I left off at us leaving to go down to New Braunfels for my grandparents anniversary...

I had a great time! It was so nice to spend time with my family and be together for such a happy event. I also got to see a lot of extended family that I hadn't seen in a few years, so it was also somewhat of a family reunion. Poor Spence, haha, I think he may have been overwhelmed with just how big my family is...and that was just my dad's side! But everyone was excited to meet him and say congratulations and give us well wishes - it made it so much more real! Anyway - a quick breakdown of the weekend:

Thursday night: got there and literally crawled into bed, we were so exhausted from working all day then having to make the 5 hour drive.

Friday morning was an early start because we had our first venue viewing appointment at 11, but had to leave the house at 9:45 due to the drive. First place was super fabulous, but maybe a little small for the number of guests we're having. We headed back to town, grabbed some delicious lunch at Gruene River Grill, and then it was off to appointment #2. This place was the exact opposite of Venue #1. Venue #2 is HUGE and close to town. It is also conveniently located next door to a winery...so what do we do...? Well, when in Rome... Dry Comal Creek Winery had a lovely assortment of wines, and yes, we did try them all. Haha, we even had a "shot" called Shootin' Blancs. "What is that?" you ask? Take a chilled shot glass, fill it with DCC Sauvignon Blanc, add 3-4 jalapeno slices, and voila! - a Shootin' Blanc. You're supposed to sip the wine until there's barely any left in there and then "shoot" it - jalapenos and all. Delicious! Well...we were having so much fun trying new things, we decided to keep rolling with it and went into the little historic district in New Braunfels called Gruene and go to a wine and beer specialty store for some more tasting and sipping. Some of my friends met up with us and we spent the rest of the night catching up, drinking new and lovely beverages, and enjoying a delicious meal.

Saturday we slept in and spent the earlier part of the afternoon lounging around and hanging out with my family. I helped my grandmother, great aunt, and aunt make centerpieces for the anniversary party. Then around 2 my friend Taylor got into town and she, Spencer, and I went on a nice little afternoon float trip. It was marvelous and sooo relaxing! And it was great to catch up with T who had been in Spain for the past couple of months (making it very difficult for us to stay in touch for a while!). After the river, we went to my fave little Mexican food joint for dinner and margarita's. Yuuummm. The rest of the evening was spent hanging out and enjoying life :)

Sunday was another lazy morning followed by a trip to Austin to have lunch with Spencer's best friend at a super neat place (which I can't seem to remember the name of right now... eerrr...) on Lake Austin. Then we had to book it back to NB to make it in time to help set up for the party. After set up we just had to "kick back, relax, and enjoy the show" as they say!

Before we left on Monday, we stopped by a specialty running store that my dad had told us to go to for new shoes. It was pretty amazing what they did there. First they "scanned" our feet and were able to tell us where we held our center of gravity and our balance, they also showed us where exactly we put pressure on our feet (and where it should be, if it wasn't there.......me). That part was cool because it looked like a map of a mountain range and wherever the "peaks" were represented the pressure we put on the part of the foot. Then he did a gait analysis on us and was able to tell us how we run and if something was off (like overpronating, etc.). He recommended a few different shoes and was able to tell us every feature of each one (impressive! This guy knew his stuff!) and we tried a few on. I knew as soon as I slipped my foot inside that little slice of heaven that it was meant to be. Suddenly all the pressure I'd been feeling in my lower back, on my knees, and the heels of my feet melted away and I felt like I was literally walking on a cloud... Ahh, pure *bliss*. Needless to say that I snatched those babies up and they've been working wonders for me ever since! :)



And I'm sure you noticed my lack of pictures... Yeah, epic fail in picture taking of the weekend. Sorry, I'll try to do better next time :(

Then it was back to good ol' Midland and normal day-to-day life...nothing of consequence happened during the week. Just super,crazy, ridiculous busy (hence hardly any blogging - sad face :( ) Except my BFF Jennie drove through Midland on her way back home to Alpine, which pretty much made my week!

Saturday we went to Crudefest! What is Crudefest, you ask? It's only the most glorious thing to ever happen in West Texas! It was a weekend long Texas Country Music Concert held in a field on the outskirts of town. There was a BBQ Contest, beer, good music, a ton of people, and great weather! We just brought a cooler and some chairs, kicked back with some friends, and enjoyed the music and festivities. I'm so glad they finally got something like this out here! This is a very common occurrence in Central Texas (especially in the Hill Country) and oh how I've missed it! Spencer has never really listened to any Texas country but after Saturday I'm proud to say he's a bona-fide fan! :) We got some pretty big names (for Texas country, that is) for the show: Roger Creager, Josh Abbott Band, Cory Morrow, and Brandon Rhyder to name a few. Of course some not-so-well-known bands were there as well and they all rocked.



Of course we slept in on Sunday, but after we woke up we planted some flowers! I was so excited to do this! I've been wanting to plant some for for-ev-errr now! We got some Periwinkle, Salvia, dew plant, Bougainvilla, and a blue one that I can't remember the name of. This combination is supposed to do well in hot weather, as well as attract butterflies and humingbirds. I certainly hope they do!

This week has been the same as the last - just a blur. I'm so ready for the weekend...just 24 more hours... My only plans are to get caught up! Our Rockhounds are back in town, so we'll be heading out to the ball park tonight to support 'em. My dad was announced Employee of the Year yesterday at his job, so to celebrate it's beer (tonight is Thirsty Thursday - half price beer night!) and baseball, two of his favorite things :)


Hope y'all have had a wonderful week so far! I also hope if any of y'all are having a week like me I hope that you can see the light at the end of the tunnel! I promise it's there!


1 comment:

Elements by Franziska Altmann

Meet Cinderella...

My photo
I'm just a small town girl with big dreams and an open heart. I truly believe that all you need is Love and to look to the Lord whatever may come your way. Engaged to my forever love and planning a September wedding, just finished my first year of teaching, and working on becoming a "real" grown-up: This is the story of my journey, however topsy-turvey and chaotic it might be... :)

The Royal Court :)

Labels