Sunday, January 3, 2010

Here goes somethin'!



The beginning of a new year. Time to wipe the slate clean, forget about your past mistakes, and resolve to change for the better this year. Or is it? Studies show that most resolutions are dropped within the first three months, so why bother? I decided not to bother this year... Well...sort of. I didn't make resolutions, I made affirmations. The word resolution means to make a formal expression of opinion or intention made. Well, that is all very nice in theory, but consider this:


The dictionary states that to affirm something means to:
1.to state or assert positively; maintain as true
2.to confirm or ratify
3.to assert solemnly
4.to express agreement with or commitment to; uphold; support


Which would you feel more obligated to uphold? A resolution or an affirmation?

Haha, well enough of that, I'm sure no one likes an English lesson. The point is that this year I decided to really push myself and commit to things rather than hope for or want them. They are going to happen, just wait and see ;)

What are these wonderful things that are to come this year, you ask! Let me tell you...

  • I will deepen my walk of faith by attending The Pursuit (it's a group for young adults at my church), completing Bible studies, and becoming more disciplined through prayer and tithing.

  • I will take control of my finances by paying all my bills on time, saving successfully, and only spending on what I must.

  • I will pay off my credit cards and my lenders by the end of the year.

  • I will find a "real" job by the end of the year; one that provides benefits and experience.

  • I will regularly exercise and do a charity run or similar event once a month. I will also do at least one biathlon or triathlon this year.

  • I will learn to be a servant and put others' needs before my own.

  • I will successfully save for and plan my Oktoberfest journey.


This blog will serve as my accountability. So, I am now accountable to Jennie, my best friend in the entire world, and to you...whoever you are ...if there is actually anyone remotely interested in reading this, hah. Well here's to a new year, full of possibilities and dreams waiting to come true!

P.S. Another challenge I gave myself this year was to find beauty in the every day, so I'm going to try to post a picture with every entry. Hopefully they'll brighten your day as much as they do mine. God created this wonderful world to enjoy, so why not open our eyes and delight in what the Lord has given us?

I took this picture while I was on a little back road headed to the interstate to get to New Braunfels. I knew it was going to be a hard day. I was going to get the rest of my furniture from the house I had shared with my then boyfriend and was not looking forward to having to face him again. It was a sudden break-up and I was worrying myself sick over it. Then I looked out the window and this is what I saw. At that moment I knew God was telling me everything was going to be alright, and it has been.

A little piece of West Texas beauty for you :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Elements by Franziska Altmann

Meet Cinderella...

My photo
I'm just a small town girl with big dreams and an open heart. I truly believe that all you need is Love and to look to the Lord whatever may come your way. Engaged to my forever love and planning a September wedding, just finished my first year of teaching, and working on becoming a "real" grown-up: This is the story of my journey, however topsy-turvey and chaotic it might be... :)

The Royal Court :)

Labels